Wear and tear of clothing is unfortunately inevitable, especially when it comes to our favourite items which we tend to wear more often. Thankfully, there are certain things that you can do from home which will help to maintain their quality and make them last longer. Here are some tips:
Get into good storage habits
No matter what kind of storage spaces you have, it’s worth trying to store your clothes in the way that’s best for them. Here are a few storage tips to go by:
– Fold heavy sweaters on a shelf rather than hanging them as their weight can distort their shape
– Do up buttons and zips when hanging shirts, cardigans, hoodies, and jackets to avoid them getting caught in other items
– Invest in good quality hangers to keep your clothes in good shape
– See that your hanging clothes have some breathing space and are not squished together
– Ensure that your wardrobe and drawers are cool and dry to avoid bad smells and mould
Rotate your clothes
We’re all guilty of over-wearing our new favourite top or pair of jeans, but doing this and forgetting about your other clothes will lead to premature wear and tear. Try to rotate your clothes by wearing old and new items equally to prolong their wearability.
Follow the instructions on clothing care labels
Clothing labels are there for a reason – keeping your clothes in the best condition for the longest time possible. It doesn’t take much more effort to stick to the guidelines, and it’s definitely worth it. If you find the labels hard to understand, check out our post on how to decipher clothing care symbols.
If you practise these habits, you’ll be saving your clothes from getting worn out sooner and be able to enjoy them in good quality for much longer. If your clothes require professional care, get in touch with Portughes Dry Cleaning today by calling us on 2144 4444.